The DadtographeR

Canon EF 200mm F1.8L lens finally in my hands!

Woohoo! Just got my hands on one of my dream lenses: The Canon EF 200mm F1.8L! This grand old dame is, sadly, no longer in production, but is also one of the few lenses that are rated a super impressive 10/10 on fredmiranda.com reviews. I'll let the pictures do the talking.



The 200mm F1.8L lens (inside metal case) and EF 1.4x and EF 2x Extenders

My Canon 5D MkIII with 200mm and both Extenders fixed.

Taken with the 5D and 200mm without any Extenders. Less-than-sharp pic is solely my fault, not the lens's as I struggled with the front heavy weight a bit. Gonna have to lift more weights for this one!

BOKEHHHHHH!!! Taken at min focal distance and F1.8. Again, less-than-sharp pic isn't the lens's fault.
 
What it looks like with the handphone cam...

...And what it looks like with the 5D + 200mm + 1.4x and 2x Extenders
Am looking forward to take more photos of the fighter jets again when I'm off. Errr, hopefully the pilots don't think I'm aiming a bazooka at them! 

My thoughts on what I think I'll use... I've a 7D crop camera, which would give me an additional 1.6x of reach for the faraway jets, but since I'll be shooting subjects that will have very strong backlighting due to the sky, the contrastingly dark planes tend to end up very "noisy" when I try to push the exposure in post process.

So this time round, I think I will use my 5D full frame camera, which has much better noise control, add either the 2x Extender or both of them, and mate the 70-300L to the 7D for when I don't want to get "too close" to the planes as they come nearer.

Keeping fingers crossed that I can get some decent pics! :) I imagine that this lens would be pretty good for some night street photography too, or at least for my style of street. We'll see.

No comments